Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Heather Gelb- A Poem


Toenail Musings

I am the mother of a handful of teenagers and
Still I can reach my toes
With my teeth.
As I nibble at a jagged nail
That snags my sock I contemplate
The importance of remaining flexible while
Traveling  uneven
                             windy roads, while
Bookmarking pages that differ from
Neighbors and even family, while
Trying to communicate with those who label themselves Pariah and who
Insist on swimming through black and white waters……

I feel no shame as I move to nibble on my next toenail; instead
I feel gratitude that my body has the strength
To bend and not break
                                 no matter how strong the wind.



Brief Bio: I often feel like a gazelle as I leap from hilltop to hilltop.
On one of these hills I recently published my memoir, my spiritual  journey from the hills of one land to another:  http://www.amazon.com/From-Hilltop-Path-Rwanda-Israel/dp/1937623076

One of my poems based on this book was  featured in the fall edition of Poetica Magazine.

I have also published stories and poetry in other various publications like Pyrokinection, Green Panda Press, Deronda Review, Jellyfish Whispers, UFO Gigolo, Stepping Stones, Aish, IJN and Esra Magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment