Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Donal Mahoney- Three Poems


All the Planets around Me

Tonight I can’t sleep
so I ponder the universe
and all the planets around me

swirling in syncopation
with me on one of them
unable to sleep

under the moon and the stars.
I do an address search for 
the First Church of the Big Bang.

I want to join that Church
but I can’t find its location
so I place an ad in the paper

asking its pastor to tell me
where the Church is.
What a sap I am.



Bison and Quail

I never think about bison.
After all, I live in St. Louis,
why should I?

But when I went hunting
for quail in Montana
I tripped and

broke my leg, flopped
on the tundra all night.
Come morning 

I saw bison romping
toward me, hundreds of them
coming in thunder.

I heard them snorting.
Honestly, I’m not lying.
I thought about bison then.

I never think about ISIS, either.
I live in St. Louis, after all,
why should I?



Acronyms Can Matter

A friend in England rings me up
and we talk about this and that.
He asks if my president's in touch
with all that’s going on and I say 
he should be in touch, going to 
Havana, London, Brussels 
and Berlin, giving speeches 
over there but not so many here
unless Congress isn’t in session.

But just the other day I heard him
talking to a reporter and he used 
the term “ISIL” again, not ISIS.
“ISIL" has to do with history
but not many folks understand.
The president prefers ISIL to ISIS
for reasons people no longer debate.
You don’t hear “ISIL” often now 
except from those who work for him.
Even the media who love the man 
switched to ISIS long ago.


Donal Mahoney

----------------------------------
Donal Mahoney, an expatriate from Chicago, lives in St. Louis, Missouri. Some of his earliest work can be found at http://booksonblog12.blogspot.com/ and some of his newer work at http://eyeonlifemag.com/the-poetry-locksmith/donal-mahoney-poet.html#sthash.OSYzpgmQ.gpbT6XZy.dpbs
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Metaphors of a fluid poetry which move us as in a dream
    world in space and time.

    ReplyDelete