Monday, May 11, 2015

Marchell Dyon- Three Poems


AN SIXTH GRADE BOY’S CONCERTO
 
It takes genius to get a girl to unbutton her blouse.
You must be like Mozart. You must be like Beethoven.
 
You must have an artist flare for the symphony of words.
Gifted with words that roll off the tongue.
Gifted with words like a flute player with his notes
You must be a pied piper of words.
 
The more prudish the better
There is no conquest in fast girls
They are like peacocks
Fanning their feathers for all to see.
 
Take the religionist homely girl
Who is curious just itching to be
You see how with each button loosen
She breathes a little faster.
 
She wants to know what it is like.
She wants to be felt up.
 
You must be like lighting
Using words that cast a spell
A minor suggestion nothing fancy
Just something sincere enough to tickle the ears
 
It takes genius to get a girl to unbutton her blouse.
You must be like Mozart. You must be like Beethoven.
You must have an artist flare for the symphony of words.
Gifted with words that rolls off the tongue
 
Gifted with words like a flute players to his notes
You must be a pied piper of words.
 
 
 
SOMEBODY’S BABY
 
She has an audience of one
She swings her arms wide
 
Conducting an invisible class of patrons.
Between booming words and her cursing
Her poetry is a burst of illustrative fire
 
She wears borrowed clothes
In the way she dresses the seasons are all mixed up
 
Her coat is a dirty patchwork quilt
She smells like an outhouse wall
Newly minted with pee.
 
Her life fits in a grocery cart
A mix of trash and mementos left over from her former life
 
She dances like a drunken gypsy
To a thunderous tambourine
No one but she can hear
 
She is who we all look though wrinkle our collective nose at
The one half see, side step, and hurried away from.
 
But consider that she was somebody’s baby
Someone once held her to their breast
Someone who watch their child sink deeper
 
Into the abyss of madness holding on to her for dear life
Till in them there was no more life
 
No one left to light a candle to lead her out from the storm
No one left to take her by the hand guide her home
 
As she wanders these streets
Always searching, lost, but never found
Left to be hungry, nameless, and alone.
 
 
 
A LIFE LIKE NORMAL: A LOVE POEM
 
Like a cobra I spray my venom
I spray just in striking distance of your eyes.
I remember that I love you.
In that moment
 
I suck my venom back down my throat.
I explode with a strain sweetness
A hurtful sugar that powders your face.
Through it all you say it’s the illness talking.
You say, come to bed.
 
I want then to obey
I want then to sizzler into your arms
I want more to break out
From underneath my nightgown and skin
I want to chase myself into the night after the night.
 
You restrain me at the door.
I know my manic hallucinations are hard to love.
I have been here before between the seasons.
When in my heart it is just not winter
 
It is just not spring and I feel like an early bloom
That pulls upward against a still frozen earth.
On nights like these the clock on the wall stands still
I walk through time.
I make what is between us a waiting game.
 
Most days, I live a life like normal.
Most nights, I am crumbling against the walls.
You have been divine, a savior to me.
If only for a few hours a cure.
 
You make this dark tunnel I call my life
Spiral and shadow towards some kind of light.
A false hope maybe, you are false sun
But isn’t that what love is anyway. 
 
 
 
Marchell Dyon is a thirty-nine year old disabled poet. She believes her disability has inspired her creative spark. Her poetry has been published in Medusa’s Kitchen, The Stray Branch, Strange Horizons, Mused Bella Online, Convergence Literary Journal, Silver Blade Magazine, and Torrid Literature Journal.    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment